Invest – Why Stockwood CBS
Stockwood CBS was set up in 2012 by the Elysia Partnership and the Biodynamic Land Trust (BDLT), to create a visionary community asset from the land and buildings of:
- Rush Farm – a 150 acre certified ‘biodynamic’ farm with top class organic credentials. Land use is largely pasture with part arable and part woodland.
- Stockwood Business Park – a 27 unit, 40,000 ft2 (net), fully let mix of offices and light industrial units. The anchor tenant is Elysia, including Elysia Natural Skin Care, which has exclusive UK distribution rights to the world famous Dr.Hauschka brand of ethical, natural cosmetics (a business which sources its ingredients from organic and biodynamic farms across the world).
Stockwood CBS will hold Rush Farm and Stockwood Business Park for community benefit in perpetuity. The objects of Stockwood CBS are to farm the land biodynamically, to promote wildlife and farm related enterprise, rural employment and rural training, and to promote sustainability through better use of technology and better practice.
Aims, Vision and Benefits of the Society
Stockwood CBS aims to demonstrate a new way of working on and alongside the land and to create a model for future rural economic and environmental regeneration.
In combining the Business Park and Farm, the new organisation will support and improve the social and natural environment by:
- Providing places of work in an harmonious setting through the biodynamic management of the Park and Farm to the highest ecological standard.
- Actively increasing and improving the measurable social impacts generated by its tenant businesses (whether ethical or local sourcing, traineeships, waste and energy management, volunteering, charitable support, and so on) using a process of leadership, tenant involvement and financial resourcing.
- Using and promoting ‘natural’, ethical methods and principles of agriculture, horticulture, education and business.
- Staging a wide range of local trade events, farm events and training courses in the rural environment and sustainable business practice.
- Providing free, welcoming and well-managed footpaths, bridle paths and permissive routes through the Farm, woodland and river banks of the Estate.
In addition, the Farm aspect will disseminate experience, research and best practice developed in and through the Stockwood CBS in regard to agricultural and horticultural land trusteeship that secures food-growing land in perpetuity.
On the business park, Stockwood CBS will lead and resource the business community to increase their ethical and environmental practices. The tenant mix will not be selected for its pre-existing credentials, rather, the mission is to influence the full spectrum of businesses. Surplus profits, for example, will be co-invested alongside tenants in helping them make changes appropriate for their line of business.
The following diagram, developed from our recent work with the Transformational Index, shows our processes in dealing with two fundamentals: food and workspace
The directors hope to see Stockwood CBS become just the first of many farm / business park organisations that provide mutual food and workplace security.